Always at the forefront of technology
For nearly a century, TRICO® has designed, developed and delivered advanced wiper technologies for automotive manufacturers and drivers worldwide. And we continue to forge ahead with innovative solutions to meet the needs of tomorrow’s vehicles and drivers.
Our unrelenting commitment to innovation is evident in the continued advancements of our entire wiper product line. One of our latest innovations is the use of LIN 1.3, which uses smart electronics to solve problems within a wiper system. This technology allows problems to be quickly and accurately identified, located and managed throughout the entire electronic system.
TRICO wiper systems: Innovations seen clear across the globe®
- 1917: Rain Rubber. The first mass produced, commercially available wiper blade.
- 1921: Automatic Vacuum Wiper motor.
- 1923: Crescent Cleaner.
- 1927: Visionall® Wiper System. Two blade wiper system (a four blade system was also offered) where the blades wiped directly sideways.
- 1928: Sleet Wand. Early attempts to fight windshield icing included this use of a rock salt-type product encased in fabric and mounted on a wiper arm.
- 1928: “Five-Ply” Blades. Multi-edge blade that used as Original Equipment on nearly every motor vehicle manufactured.
- 1928: TRICO UK Established. TRICO’s European head office and UK manufacturing plant in Brentford, England, opens.
- 1929: Dual Wipers. This innovation marked the period when wiper blades began working in unison to improve visibility.
- 1936: Windshield Washer Systems. TRICO’s “Two Little Squirts” pioneered the use of windshield washer fluid to keep windshields clean.
- 1953: “Arctic” Winter Blade. The precursor to today’s premium winter blade, it was encased in a flexible ice-repellent hood that de-iced itself as the blade wiped.
- 1954: Four-Bar Blades. Early heavy duty wiper blades.
- 1956: Panoramic Rainbow or “P-R” Blades. The first windshield wiper blades to have an arc. A pair of spring-tensioned levers pre-flexed the blades to maintain constant pressure on the windshield. It was TRICO's most popular blade up to and through the late 1960s.
- 1957: TRICO Australia. TRICO opens an Australian manufacturing plant.
- 1959: Vacuum Rear Windshield Systems.
- 1971: Wet Wiper Arm.
- 1979: Tubular Blades. Used for the first time by Original Equipment manufacturers (introduced to the Aftermarket in 1984).
- 1980: Plastic-Framed Blade.
- 1981: Electric Rear Wiper System.
- 1993: Series 2000 Blades. TRICO’s latest aerodynamic Original Equipment wiper blade.
- 1995: TRICO Exact Fit® Blade. First replacement wiper blade to install in seconds, as the blade is pre-assembled to fit the vehicle directly.
- 1996: Global Technology Center Established. This 81,000-square-foot facility is the only one in the Detroit area dedicated solely to windshield wiper technology.
- 1998: Global 1 Blade. The next generation of Original Equipment blades.
- 2000: TRICO Teflon® Blade. Exclusive wiping edge with Teflon® surface protector.
- 2002: Beam Blade. Extremely low profile, bracketless blade consisting only of a metal tension strip, rubber element and connector.
- 2005: TRICO China Established. TRICO manufacturing plant in Suzhou, China, opens.
- 2006: Direct Drive Motor. Brushless wiper motor that drives windshield wiper arms and blades without the use of linkages.
- 2007: TRICO NeoForm® Blade. Aerodynamic beam blades that fits the vast majority of vehicles on the road including those with specialty wiper arms.
- 2009: TRICO Flex® Blade. Universal beam blades with easy connection technology.
- 2012: TRICO Force® Blade. Premium beam blade technology with advanced aerodynamics.
- 2012: TRICO Ice® Blade. Extreme winter weather blade.
- 2014: TRICO Exact Fit Factory Replacement Centre® is launched in Europe, providing customers with a comprehensive Original Equipment product range.